Sunday, August 30, 2009

HHH Century Ride

Yes, we did it! Jared and I rode in our first century ride, "Hotter 'N Hell Hundred", in Witchita Falls, TX. We rode 100 miles in 6 hours and 20 minutes. I was SO SO nervous. Picture this.....14,200 riders, wall to wall bikers and bikes....and then me, the first time rider. Once we got through the starting gate my nerves eased. It was a perfect day, 64-85 degrees, and dry. We did get a strong head wind the last 30 miles, but thanks to a paceline, with Jared in front, I survived. Jared was nice enough to stay with me the whole time, and I only had to ask him once to slow down (my heart rate was a little to high). Can I also say that west Texas is NOT flat. We had hill after hill. We train in Louisiana where we have one hill that we ride, so this was a little different for us. My friend Kaye rode the ride with us. She was actually the one who talked us into this, thanks Kaye! We are now planning our next big ride.

Taken before the race started (phone camera quality), can you see how nervous I was......
After the race, back at the car (we didn't carry the camera with us)

We just crossed the finish line....sigh of relief...happy thoughts!


10 comments:

Jenn S said...

Oh Hooray for all 3 of you! That is such a huge accomplishment! I really am proud of you! You have worked so hard for so long for this. Great pictures and I'm sure great memories!

Katie L. said...

If I remember, when you were out here you said you were never going to do another race again! :) You look awesome and I am so proud of you guys! I wish I could have been there to see you finish!

Sparks said...

You guys look great, what an awesome accomplishment! I know how long you've been training for this.

The Otis Family said...

All I noticed is how short I look next to you. Are you sure I didn't shrink on that ride? So...good thing we have 4 days off before we have to get back on our bikes. I don't think my butt could take it any earlier.

Mindy said...

Yay for you Hillary! I have to hand it to you bikers. You really amaze me. I'm glad it all went well.

Jessica said...

Yay!! I would have lasted only 8 miles! Way to go!!

Laura B said...

That is amazing. I can't imagine the "butt tingle" after a century. I am very impressed. You look fantastic.

Alison said...

Oh Hillary, that is so impressive - way to go. Could you still walk after you were finished on your bike?

kendra said...

You are AWESOME. I could never do that! Impressive, serously.

heidi k said...

Way to go! That is so cool!